Welcome to the Psalm a Day Challenge! Several years ago I endeavoured upon a similar challenge. I picked up a copy of the Bible in 90 Days, made a Facebook group and invited my friends to do the challenge along with me and get online and post thoughts and discussions about what we read each day. The people that joined me in this challenge actually completed the challenge, while I was rubbish and didn’t make it all the way. It was a fairly ambitious goal and it is one I hope to yet accomplish.
I would now like to present a new and more feasible challenge: I am going to read a chapter of the Book of Psalms every day and then come here to my blog and post about it. I thought doing it on a blog would be better, as I don’t want to exclude people who don’t use Facebook. I have several reasons for starting this which I shall display with delightful little bullet points below:
- I want to dig into God’s word with some sort of guided focus instead of milling about, wondering what I should study.
- I want to have some accountability with others doing the same challenge.
- I want to revitalize my blogging/journalling habits. They have grown rather dormant.
- I want to spend intentional time with passages of scripture. I want to dig deeper and spend time pouring over the words, not just checking a box.
- I want to share this with others and see what God is teaching them and what I might be missing.
I really hope some of you will join me. Whether I am joined or not, I will press forward and post every day. It will be my goal to answer at least one of the below questions a day:
- What new word is God revealing to me in the text?
- What miracle of my past is God reminding me of with the text?
- What wonderful promise is God showing me in the text?
- How can I identify with the struggle the psalmist is writing about?
- How can I apply this to my life at present?
- I welcome any prompts you might contribute to this list!
The starting day of this adventure is Monday, April 14th. My plan is to post first thing in the morning so discussions can ensue throughout the day. Please note: you do not need a WordPress account to comment. I hope you’ll join me!